At first glance the documentation you need to make a marriage legal can seem a little overwhelming. I will help and advise you on everything you need to have a legal Australian marriage.
As a guide, Australian citizens will need the following original or officially authorized documents:
- Birth Certificate
- Current Driver’s Licence or
- Current identification card/Proof of age card
- If you have been married before – Divorce papers/Decree Absolute or Death Certificate if spouse is deceased.
Non-Australian citizens will also need:
- Passport from your country of origin; or
- Birth certificate, which in some cases will require official translation.
All intended couples will need to complete a Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM), which must be lodged no earlier than 18 months and no later than 30 days before the wedding.
Further documentation may be required for individual circumstances. We can identify those needs when we meet.
On your wedding day you will need two witnesses over the age of 18.